Energy and Sustainability Specialist
Department: Building Science
Manager: Rockford Boyer - Manager, Building Science
As our Energy and Sustainability Specialist, you will be playing an essential role in ensuring our customers meet their energy efficiency and sustainability goals. Reporting to the Building Science Manager, you will support Elastochem’s vision while driving sustainability efforts to building practitioners throughout Canada and the United States. You will drive our corporate policies and initiatives to promote, train, and educate sustainability practices within the Elastochem organization. You will actively participate in internal and external meetings to constantly improve our sustainability messaging and strategy. You will help build a sustainability vision that will translate internally to our organization, our consumers, and to the design community at large.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor of Science or Applied Science in Mechanical, Civil, Structural Engineering, Building Science, Architecture, or a related discipline.
- P. Eng., CET or BSS a must.
- A minimum of 2-5 years' experience with Building Science consulting and construction. Construction experience on new and existing building projects.
- A minimum of 2-5 years of experience with Building Science software such as WUFI, THERM, THERM 3-D and AutoCAD.
- Demonstrates expertise relating to our core service areas of sustainability strategy and disclosure.
- Builds strong and trusted relationships with clients and/or business partners.
- Excellent leadership skills, strong analytical and strategic thinking skills.
- A valid driver’s license, insurance and personal vehicle required.
- Strong written and oral skills .
Technical Skills & Core Competencies
- An understanding and competency in building physics, such as in heat, air and moisture transfer, including an understanding and ability to evaluate heat flow under each heat transfer mechanism (conduction, convection and radiation).
- Ability to run hygrothermal modeling tools (like WUFI) and heat transfer analysis (THERM, HEAT and HEAT 3-D), and equally as important, translate the results and be able to explain the results as they apply to the real world.
- Understanding of the four major building enclosure systems and how they are interrelated and tie-ins between materials and systems.
- Understanding of commercial and residential construction, including concrete-framed, metal-framed (structural steel and light-gauge framing), and wood-framed structures.
- Ability to analyze building performance, including the ability to run a refined and more accurate energy model.
- Understand sustainability from a manufacturing aspect (i.e. EPD, LCA).
- Understand sustainability implementation on a residential/commercial/institutional scale.
Duties & Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of the position are detailed below, but not limited to the following:
- Apply engineering principles related to building science & sustainability projects.
- Assist external building practitioners on the efficient and sustainable use of spray applied polyurethane foam insulation and waterproofing.
- Conduct construction reviews and site meetings when required.
- Liaise with contractors, sub-consultants, and other engineering disciplines.
- Provide sound technical guidance/reports when required.
- Provide technical presentations when required, internal/external.
- Accept responsibility for project tasks, deliverables, and outcomes.
- Apply sustainable thinking and practices within the project execution.
- Collaborate with the related teams to decrease Elastochem’s Environmental Impact and create positive sustainability messaging.
- Other duties as assigned/required.
Continuous Improvement is everyone’s responsibility in Elastochem’s high-performance culture. We also look to you to evaluate opportunities and drive improvements in eliminating waste (non-value add) and variation that results in customer dissatisfaction.
- Competitive salary.
- Employer paid health & dental benefits.
- Flexible environment with the option of remote work.
- Professional training and growth opportunities.
This role will ideally be based in Brantford, ON with the opportunity of working remotely.
Elastochem Specialty Chemicals Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. It is Elastochem’s policy to recruit and select applicants for employment solely on the basis of their qualifications. Elastochem does not discriminate against applicants based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, or disability or any other status or condition protected by applicable law.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Energy and Sustainability Specialist".